Thursday, April 15, 2010

Midnight call

Its midnight.

Only 9 hours away from a big exam.

You're deep asleep.

You're sleeping because you know you need to sleep if you have to do well in the exam hall.

Your friend calls you up crying. She's been dumped, and she's not able to take it well and you're the only person she can talk to. She asks you "Why? Why me?".

What do you do?
What do you say?
What can you do?
What can you say?

Sometimes, the closest of friends cost you more than just time, laughter and joy. Sometimes, you have to gamble BIG with your life for your friends. And sometimes, you'll have to choose between a big exam, and your friend.

Exams are important. They tell you how much you've gained out of a course. They tell you if you're ready to bear the responsibility of knowing something. They result in marks and grades and an official doccument that can haunt you for the rest of your life.

But here in India, exams are bullshit.

I chose my friend.

Epilogue:
I slept at three that night after a nice long talk. By the time I hung up, she was feeling much better. I woke up early enough not to be late for the exam. And surprisingly, I did well!

In the end, I guess the satisfaction of helping out a person you care about is just as rewarding as a good night's sleep. Next time someone decides to call me 9 hours before a big exam, and asks for help...

I know what to do.

No comments: